vrijdag 6 november 2015

De grens

"Staat u mij toe?"
Hij staat voor me, met een uitgestrekte arm, klaarblijkelijk om mij te helpen over het prikkeldraad te komen. Ik aarzel. Wil ik wel die kant op? Het is letterlijk en figuurlijk een grens waarvan ik niet weet of ik die wil oversteken.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to cross that border. But his face was so inviting (not pretty, not young, but old and wrinkled with a twinkling in the eyes that hadn’t died despite the hardships he undoubtedly would have had to face in his life). I couldn’t resist him, couldn’t resist this physical border. So I took his hand gratefully and let him help me to get to the other side.
(I realise I’m mixing up my languages as if my mind isn’t quite sure yet, either, about which side I should be choosing. )

De andere kant. Daar ben ik nu. Aan de andere kant, waar het leven beter zou moeten zijn dan waar ik vandaan kom. Ik kijk achterom naar de eindeloze stroom van mensen die ons volgt. Jong, oud, van allerlei gezindten, talloze achtergronden. Er is nauwelijks iets dat ons bindt, behalve de vlucht zelf.

Zelfs de reden waarom we vluchten is niet universeel. Zoeken we geluk, geld, veiligheid? Is het een nieuw begin, of een tijdelijke rustplaats? Een wanhopige poging om nog iets van ons leven te maken of een hoopvolle start? Een plek om op te laden voor de volgende stap?

I hardly understood what made me leave in the first place. What was the reason I left my hometown and why now exactly and not last year or next week? Is it an escape or a journey? In a way it is as if we have all jumped on a train with an unknown destination. As soon as it left the platform we weren’t able to stop it anymore. It is driving us, like lemmings, towards the sea. A common misconception with lemmings is that they commit mass suicide by running off cliffs. In fact, it is not suicide. Lemmings know how to swim. They migrate for a better future. Many of us know how to swim too, but can we make it to the other side?  

De man verstoort mijn gedachtestroom. 
“Waar droom je van?” vraagt hij. Zijn vraag is onverwacht, maar Waar kom je vandaan? of Waar ga je naartoe zijn? in deze situatie moeilijker te beantwoorden. Hij raakt een gevoelige snaar. Ik vertel hem van de vrijheid die ik zoek, los van landen en continenten, los van religie en andere verstikkende banden en verwachtingen.

“I want to fly like an eagle,” I tell him whilst I point at the sky. He smiles and goes along with my daydream. It so happens he has the same dream. 
I doubt whether it will ever come true on this side of the border or any other.
“As long as there are borders,” he says, “we will never be free, not really.”

“We have to wait and see,” I say and I smile. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten